Suwanee Hosting TSPLOST Forum on Monday
The session at City Hall is being held with Gwinnett leaders.
Amid indications of widespread public discontent, Suwanee and Gwinnett officials Monday will host a public forum on the TSPLOST referendum. The session will be 6 p.m. at City Hall.
The referendum, currently before advance voters in Gwinnett as part of the July 31 ballot, would add a 1 percent sales tax to fund transportation-related improvements over a 10-year period. The referendum also is being voted on in nine other metro Atlanta counties.
However, a recent poll by WSB-TV showed that most people in the metro area are not in favor of the tax. Opposition was particularly strong outside I-285.
Suwanee has a direct stake in the referendum passage.
The June issue of Crossroads, the city's official newsletter reads, "Among the Gwinnett County projects, one is in Suwanee, a $5.5 million project to reconstruct Buford Highway, from George Pierce Park to McGinnis Ferry Road in a manner that is context sensitive and encourages a variety oftransportation modes."
Also from Crossroads: "The City of Suwanee would plan to use 60 percent of its local funding for resurfacing and road maintenance. The funding would provide for approximately 20 miles of road resurfacing, representing about a third of the City’s roads. The other 40 percent would be used for intersection, sidewalk, and trail improvements. The City anticipates that it could construct about 2 miles of new sidewalks with these funds."
Also, Gwinnett BOC Chairman Charlotte Nash has appeared on a "wireside chat" for the public to answer questions about TSPLOST.