will be among those participating in African-American History Month activities in February.
The Reading Relay will be among the activities throughout Gwinnett County. Each Saturday during February, members from two organizations, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, as well as some of the youths that they mentor will be reading books at various branches to honor the many contributions and achievements of African Americans, past and present, while promoting literacy. All ages are welcome.
In Suwanee, the reading will be Saturday, Feb. 4, 1 PM-2 PM, 361 Main Street.
Some of the other activities throughout Gwinnett are:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Unity Breakfast, Shory Howell Park, Duluth, 9-11 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 25. The breakfast will serve as an opportunity to celebrate the legacy of service of Dr. King and create an imperative to live out his legacy through our homes and communities, according to a news release. This year’s program will acknowledge and recognize individuals, groups and corporations within the Gwinnett community promoting diversity through leadership, innovation, and community volunteerism. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holla At Ya Ancestors ©Genealogy Workshop, Tuesday, Feb. 28, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Hilton Atlanta Northeast, Norcross. "How to Honor your African-American Ancestors by Tracing, Documenting, Publishing & Donating Your Family History." Johnette Brooks will discuss tips and techniques for conducting African-American genealogical research, including navigating the U.S. Census. Free. Lunch will be served, according to a news release. Information: email@example.com.
- Black Women in American History and Culture” Exhibit, Feb. 1-29, 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center, Lawrenceville. The exhibit is composed of news articles, magazine clippings and other documentation relating to local black women’s contributions to American history. Information: www.unitedebonysociety.org or call 770-822-4046.
For other African-American History Month activities, visit:
- Gwinnett Public Library website: http://www.gwinnettpl.org/kidsfamily_calendar;
- Gwinnett Convention & Visitors Bureau website: http://www.gcvb.org/includes/events/?action=displayDetail&eventId=10413
Contributed by Gwinnett Public Library and Gwinnett Convention & Visitors Bureau.