Oatmeal and honey are heart smart products, loaded with nutrients and devoid of harmful side effects. They are also low on the inflammation-meter making them desirable ingredients in many diets especially with inflammation-based health problems like arthritis and other auto-immune conditions on the rise.
Lots of people know that, but did you know that oatmeal and honey are skin smart, too? Makers of beauty products are well aware of this fact. That’s why so many beauty products contain those ingredients.
January is National Oatmeal Month. We can celebrate with a healthy breakfast of oatmeal with nuts and honey, make some oatmeal and raisin cookies like the ones featured in Easy Weekly Meals for Moms on the Go, or by beautifying ourselves with oatmeal-based skin-care treatments. Spa appointments and store-bought products can be expensive though. If you’d like to try an easy and inexpensive facial mask of oatmeal and honey, you can do it with ingredients found in your cupboard or pantry.
Easy and budget-friendly are always perfect for me, so I recommend you try this Honey and Oatmeal Facial Mask contributed by an EWM subscriber.
Soothing Face Mask
- 1/4 cup plain oatmeal (soothes dry itchy skin, natural exfoliant)
- 1/8 cup baking soda (natural exfoliant, helps with rosacea and acne)
- 2 tsp honey (helps absorb and retain moisture in skin)
- Warm water
- Grind the oatmeal to a fine powder using a coffee grinder, food processor or blender.
- Mix together oatmeal and baking sodas and add water a little bit at a time until you have paste (not too thick or too thin).
- Add the honey and mix well. Apply a thin layer of the paste to your face with a clean paint brush.
- Let it dry completely (approximately 10 minutes).
- Rinse face and moisturize well.
Enjoy this inexpensive and easy facial treatment for National Oatmeal Month.
Facial Mask Image courtesy of ahmet guler/FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Oatmeal Cookies Photo courtesy of Easy Weekly Meals